Thursday, January 12, 2012

East Coast vs West Coast Hockey fans

Three letters can sum up the difference between being a hockey fan on the East Coast versus being a hockey fan on the West Coast and those are D V R.  With the majority of the NHL teams based either in the Eastern Standard time zone or the Central Standard time zone, fans on the West Coast arrive home from their post-work daily commute usually either mid second period or during the second intermission.  As a Caps fan in San Diego, I am dependent on my DVR more times than not to be able to watch my beloved team.  This makes me relish the opportunity to see my team live in person when they make their annual west coast road trip on the schedule.  Unfortunately, for the rest of the schedule, I'm reliant upon my DVR and Caps Media sites to keep me up to speed.

For a fan being three hours behind, this also provides the opportunity to watch more hockey in a night or the ability to watch a game and then go play hockey.  There's multiple times a week when I can catch up on the Caps game and then be able to watch the Kings or Ducks game on at 730 PM PST or take off for a game of pickup at the local ice rink.  I find this as a "win-win" situation.  For my wife, she cherishes the nights I either go to play hockey or the Caps aren't on tv so we can watch normal shows.  We've also found that with the DVR, I can watch the game until one of her shows come on and pause the game until after it is over.  This makes my mild hockey addiction bearable on our relationship (or extreme hockey addiction as my wife and friends know).

To sum up, and to keep the posts relatively short and easy to read for those like me, being a hockey fan on the West Coast isn't too bad after all.  With many thanks to the TIVO and DVR gods, I don't miss a second of any game and I can fit it into my night without allowing it take over my entire evening.  More times than not, I find myself watching more hockey being on the West Coast and keeping up with more media sites covering the sport and the Caps.  Having said that, it is one of my motivations behind this blog, to add to the ever-expanding media coverage of our sport and our beloved Capitals.  I do not believe I would have dreamed of starting this blog if I wasn't on the West Coast.  Hopefully, if you like my material, you'll also be encouraged to broaden your horizons and perhaps contribute.  GO CAPS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment